Tuesday 21 January 2014

>>>beauty banter: HOW TO FIGHT THE SHINE (AKA - HOW TO STOP YOUR SKIN LOOKING LIKE A GREASY MESS COME 3PM) - PART ONE



One of the most common questions I am asked regarding personal grooming is how to stop your skin (when you're wearing make-up, that is) looking and feeling like a gross greasy mess by the end of the day. 
While I am all for a hyper glowy come greasy sheen on skin it has a time and a place. Generally on alien skinned models wearing Wang. On a runway. For five minutes max. It's time and place in real life is short lived and often impracticable. 
For years I suffered through a sheeny skin that only really felt fresh for a couple of hours after applying make-up. “Quelle horreur” I would shudder with a horrible sinking feeling when I would catch a glimpse of my shiny complexion in shop windows. I would simply avoid looking in the mirror on bathroom breaks so to not see the dreaded confirmation of my greasy skin fears. 

I can happily say I am now rid of this vanity crippling affliction. My makeup looks fresh for 12+ hours and I don't even need to touch up, I feel fully confident that I can go from work to drinks and not be the one offering the disco ball ambiance from my shiny round face. 
It wasn't easy to achieve this level of comfort and confidence and it took years of trial and error, product purchases and well-meaning but misguided advice from counter girls.
I often feel that for western skincare and cosmetics skin hydration is a major focus (in terms of skincare and benefits that our cosmetics have pumped into them) at the expense that those of us that are on the shiny side are left with few options that allow us to enjoy dreamy skin.
My dream skin is matte but not flat, it's glowy but not shiny and importantly it never feels slick or sticky. Unless you have suffered through the sheen it's very hard to understand let alone advise and recommend a regimen so I have put together here a comprehensive collection over two posts of some of my very best tips and learning’s on how to fight the shine and slime so you too can put your dream face forward. 

1. Never skip the prep step
It all starts with how you moisturise. It's so easy to be tempted to skip this step with the thought in mind that "I'm oily so I don't need any more moisture". Alas you do - if you skip moisturiser then you will create this horrible cycle whereby the skin feels dehydrated so it produces more oil to coat the skin in order to keep it balanced. This balance and natural skin regulation might be okay if you were to be sans maquillage however as soon as you start coating your skin with silicone-y and emollient products your natural oils are going to break on through and leave your careful makeup prep looking a mess. 
If you are currently using a moisturising cream in the morning you will notice a difference if you switch this to a lotion. If you are super oily look for a product that states that it is oil free, has a gel base or that it has oil controlling properties (I really like Kiehl's Sodium PCA Oil-Free Moisturizer). What you want to try and achieve with your moisturising step is light weight hydration that adequately moisturises the skin with out leaving a greasy residue or that over compensates later in the day. Other lotions that I found to achieve this are: MACMineralize Charged Water Face and Body Lotion (great for normal-super oily) and Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream (good if your normal-dry - dry skinned gals get shine too. It says cream but it really acts and feels like more of a lotion). I find with really gung-ho oil controlling moisturisers that mattify don't help a lot as the actually leave the skin feeling dry, like you haven't moisturised at all. I think it's best to avoid this as it's important for the surface of the skin to feel lightly hydrated and supple. 
If you are already using a moisturising lotion that promises all of the above then try using about half the amount. Worried you won't cover your whole face? If you place the product on your hand and then dab all parts on your face before massaging it in you'll be surprised how much less you manage to use. 
Further to switching up your moisturiser for a lotion you can cleanse and tone skin with an oil free formula that will make skin feel clean and grease free - the Kiehl's UltraFacial Oil-Free line is great for this. Look for a cleanser that has a moderate foaming action and a clear toning lotion. If you have time on your side during your grooming ritual do try to wait at least ten minutes after applying moisturiser before putting your base on. 

2. To prime or not to prime?
This is a great question. A primer is a product used to prepare the skin before foundation. It generally contains silicone which creates a super smooth, soft surface for foundation to stick to. A good primer should leave skin feeling silky and looking extra smooth. You should also use much less foundation. You'll often be recommended a primer to help keep foundation lasting longer however I think this is very much dependent on your skin type. Often the primer can do exactly the opposite as it is an extra layer of emollient product with the potential to slip and slide on the skin – also a primer will more than likely moisturize the skin which you may not need. At first it may leave the skin looking matte but as the day wears on I can find them to actually exacerbate the problem and cause skin to look shinier. My advice here would be to absolutely try before you buy. Some primers will keep your skin looking better for longer and some will leave you looking shinier, sooner. Ask the sales assistant to fill you up a sample so you can try it over a couple of days and see how it works with your skin. There's nothing more disappointing than buying a product that not only doesn't fix the issue, but makes if worse! I have tried out a few primers and have two absolute favorites. MAC Prep and Prime Skin leaves skin looking visibly smoother and more radiant. LancĂ´me La Base Pro is a beautiful velvety primer that makes skin feel incredibly smooth – so smooth I find my self using less than a third of the amount of foundation I would normally use – incredible! These are both super popular options but again, try before you buy as one woman’s wonder product may be another’s worst nightmare.


The above two tips should have your skin set up for shine-free success before cosmetics are even applied. Part two will help you choose the appropriate foundation and my favorite product for ensuring your base looks ace all day. Get prepping!

No comments:

Post a Comment